Monday, August 27, 2007

What's Behind Door #4?

We were on another site visit to schools the day I finally met
my match. I knew it would only be a matter of time, but I
hoped to prolong it as long as possible, maybe forever. We had visited about 25 schools, and had gotten into a bit of a routine when surveying the grounds. When it came to inspecting the pit latrines, my standard procedure was to hold my nose, creak open the door (if it had one), look around as if I expected to see something, nod approvingly, jot down some notes, take some photos, and move on. By this time I've seen a number of pit latrines in various conditions, but none quite like the one I saw this time. We were at a school that had 4 stalls in a row, all without doors except one, which was closed. I began my inspection protocol, and eventually ended up at the last door. In order to be thorough and to satiate my curiosity, I creaked open the metal door and peeked in. Instinctively, my eyes looked down to assess the condition of the floor of the latrine first, and came across a snake stretched out near the entrance. I let go of the door and backed away, motioning to our Kenyan tour guides that there was something inside that needed their attention. I'm not sure how to explain that motion in words, but they seemed to understand.

Seemingly embarrassed and caught in a compromising position, the snake tried to slither out of the latrine unnoticed, but all eyes were on it as the three guys circled around, throwing large branches at it until it stopped moving. As I watched from a distance, one of the bravest guys finished it off, picked up the limp body with a stick and threw it down the very same pit latrine to it's final resting place. I thanked all of them profusely, shaking their hands, but they shrugged it off as though it was commonplace. They did walk around the rest of the school compound with us wielding large sticks, though.

Upon returning to Mutomo I mustered up the courage to flip through one of the engineers' books on various types of snakes (complete with photos and detailed descriptions-this does not help my fear) but I could not locate it. Now I don't know if that should alleviate my fear or heighten it.

I'm going to start kicking in the pit latrine door Rambo-style, from now on, just to be safe.

I'm in Nairobi this weekend for work-related duties.
Happy Labor Day. Don't work too hard.

disclaimer: no animals were harmed in the writing of this entry, although I can't say the same for the unfortunate ones that cross my path here in Kenya.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna:
Happy belated birthday. It seems you are going to be tested by all sorts of creatures in Kenya. I know you can take them on. Your sense of humor makes life seems easier.Take care of yourself.

Amina

Sally said...

Happy Birthday!

Can I buy the rights to your experience? I am working on a sequel to a recent movie. I plan to call it SNAKES IN A POTTY.

Melanie said...

I really thought you were gonig somewhere else with the latrine story, but then I realized it was worse than I imagined! A snake popping out of the toilet is one of my all-time fears. Those things are freaks! Remember, look before you squat.

Anonymous said...

ik vind het erg dapper zoals je overal op af stapt, ik denk dat ik overal slangen zou zien!
Is het bij jullie nog zo warm? Hier halen we maar amper de 16 graden, op naar de winter!
verder gaat hier alles zijn gangetje Jasper en Thomas zijn weer naar school en Jan en ik werken weer volop, dat viel niet mee om weer in het normale ritme te komen na een maand vakantie!Maar alles went!
Behalve slangen natuurlijk!
Marieke doe voorzichtig en heel veel groeten van ons allemaal!
Maria.

Anonymous said...

lIEEEEEEEVE Anne,
Na de kip nu de slang "het haasje". Je zult best gek zijn op dieren, maar ze moeten je niet tegenkomen. Ben benieuwd als een olifant je pad kruist, of een nijlpaard. Maar wij lezen dat het goed gaat met je en dat je meer en meer in het werk groeit. Wordt je goed geaccepteerd?? Het lijkt ons moeilijk om als buitenstaander de Kenyanen te komen controleren of zien ze dat niet zo?
Hou je taai, wij bewonderen je nog steeds en we vinden je nog steeds erg lieeeeeef
Toos en frans

Stop Vegetarianism Now said...

You need to become a snake charmer. Or take care of the snakes like you did the chicken.

Patrick Faust said...

oh my god. be careful. snakes scare the hell out of me. hope you're doing well!

Patrick Faust said...
This comment has been removed by the author.