Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Nuns and the Runs



Finally some photos! Although these pictures hardly do the town of Mutomo true justice, it's some indication as to what I see everyday. Notice the dirt roads and the abundance of donkeys and church signs. The options are so overwhelming that I have yet to make my choice.

Speaking of church, there are some fierce nuns who work on the hospital compound who are big rugby followers. Now that rugby season has started, I know more about Irish rugby than I ever thought I'd learn in a lifetime (especially in Kenya).

Sometimes, no matter what you do, you may have the bad luck to come down with diarrhea. (sorry, there's just no good transition for that). Fortunately, there is a pit latrine about 50 feet away from the office that I could sprint to several times a day. Squatting and aiming over a small hole in a cement slab over and over again demands some serious balance and focus. Yet again I find myself sparing you the details (trust me, this is sparing the details), but on the upside, I think my thigh muscles have strengthened as a result. Treatment includes letting it pass on it's own in 5-7 days, but since I can't trace the origin of the tenants harboring unwelcomed in my digestive tract, I don't know what to avoid in the future. Also on the upside, I can finally partake in the lively and commonplace brag-fests that occur when any Peace Corps people get together to tell tales of amoebas, giardia, and other such fun health concerns. The opportunities abound. Did I mention life is a bit uneventful here?

In the end, I am feeling better, a bit more acclimated to life in Kenya, and a bit more prepared to face the next bout, as I'm sure this is not the last.

5 comments:

Stop Vegetarianism Now said...

Oh goodness. You might have giardia. Or cholera. They always got that on the Oregon Trail. Make sure to boil your water. I'm glad you are displaying a picture of donkeys and not elephants.

Anonymous said...

Hi Annemarie,
One mostly never quite knows where the bugs come from giving you the runs, I guess your body needs a minimum of 3 months adjusting to new bacteria and fun things like the 'unknown bug that hit you'.
Only if the runs stay too long action is needed but often bland food will calm your bowels down: cook plain rice, eat it with no spices added and drink the rice water too; lentils cooked into a 'dal' (if available ) are soft and help and then locally they might have good suggestions. I am sure the nuns will shoot a prayer or two for you in between their football games!

I see Kodak advertisement, any other big US or other western companies advertise?

I love the donkeys and wish we were still moving at that pace, less accidents,less noise, less or no sirens of the police. The car is the biggest killer in the US but we all feel quite safe in it, one wonders if we should go back to donkeys? Maybe camels for the long trips?

I assume the dirt roads will be quite muddy when it rains and I remember when I took pictures of a fruit stand in Indonesia that I was taken to the police accused of wanting to show "the dirt road" to people back home, showing how 'backward' they were because they had no paved roads! Took some time to convince them that even Europe as well as the US still have many dirt roads (he could not believe it) and that I aimed at the beautiful fruit stand wnateing to show their fruit that Europeans never had seen!
Delighted I was let go since the fact was now that the West did not know everything about them, they even took me to some places they were proud of and it all worked out for better understanding on both sides.

It is hard to know the sensitivities of local people you meet coming from a total different culture..
When you talk to people you might want to ask them what their idea of the US is, what we have and do not have etc.the images they paint most often come from TV or possibly movies and are as unreal as can be.

The same is for us as you know, and realize, our image of Africa is warped and also comes from TV:starving africans, AIDS and death and war and genocide, the rest we barely see. We are shocked they have no running water or electric but they still have time for each other, live mostly in small communities knowing generations of the same families etc.

Not long ago we had similar situations, just before WW@ and having no penicillin people died of so many things that now are taken for granted.

A big section of New Orleans still looks like a war zone with no utilities after 2 years of Katrina.

You might be glad to miss most of the presidential contenders hot-talk, advertise yourself-talk,have no clue-talk , I am the best-talk, beside the Prez who seems to live in la-la land.

Love your pictures, love to see more and see if you can add people, market or anything daily life shows you?

Life here is -besides politics- as usual, we read about the West burning, Texas drowning and the mid country having tornadoes, bridges collapsing and the threat of terrorism goes up and down, about winning? the war, as if that can be won!, just to name some topics on our news.

But on the flip side we do our work, go out, see friends, etc etc.

So for us (read me) your blog and pics bring a welcome change to our life and I look forward to your new adventures. Jay and Saskia also enjoy your blog. Thanks and enjoy! Nicolien from Takoma Park.

Unknown said...

Sick.

Anonymous said...

Got access to any distilled white vinegar? One part vinegar along with 3 parts (boiled) water is supposed to be quite effective when washing fruit and veggies.

Strong thigh muscles are always good to have, but...

Pat
p.s. I was surprised by the tall trees.

Scary Mary Z said...

i very much enjoyed hearing about your runs! you know i did.

did i ever tell you i got the postcard from amsterdam and it is hanging on my fridge? sad day for maryland this week - i sent you an email.

just wanted to send my love as i sit in caribou avoiding my laundry and dirty apartment!