Saturday, September 22, 2007

Mutomo's Small 5

Mutomo is located conveniently near one of Kenya's oldest and biggest National game parks, which is probably why this region is known for it's array of animals. There are of course the "Big 5", but there are also those which the guide books don't mention. These seem to have taken up residence in my small room, making the less well-known but equally impressive "Small 5". I wonder if I could start charging admission to view these.

We have the following (in order of annoyance):

scorpions- yes, they seem to have followed me from Kitui. I've only spotted one outside my room, but it won't be long before it realizes my host mama is still in Kitui and does not pose an immediate threat anymore


spiders- are fearless and usually appear on my towel early in the morning when I am exiting the shower, groggy and vulnerable

ants- we have an agreement that I will tolerate their little parades through my room but if I find them in my sugar bowl, I will eat them alive without hesitation

lizards- salamanders, geckos, I'm not sure of the difference, but they're probably all in my room. The only good thing about these is that they are very skittish and seem to be more afraid of their own shadow than of me. I usually leave them alone (unless they are in my bed)

mosquitoes- am constantly trying to discourage these persistent beasts by sleeping under a mosquito net and taking my malaria meds dutifully. They're not getting my non-verbal signals.

Until we can work out our differences and co-exist peacefully, I'm arming my fortress and the brave will be sorry. To demonstrate I mean business, I've invested in a spray can of Doom, a favorite repellant among Kenyans to rid their homes of pesty creatures. I'm considering purchasing a holster so I can practice whipping out the can as an added incentive if the negotiations aren't going my way.

In other news, the constructions of the pit latrines at the first school has officially begun. As it's completed, myself and the Peer Educators will start our descent onto the Primary school students to try and convince them that hand washing is important and fun. Wish me luck.

Hope everyone is well.

PS. I've added some photos and a video clip to the site. Enjoy. I'll add more as I have them.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics. The lone tree on the savanna is great.

It sounds like the small 5 is more of a menace than the big 5!

Some say garlic repels mosquitos. So, eat more garlic.

Kalina Duncan said...

I love the pictures, although they made me miss you greatly. Love the one of you in the van.

These posts are so funny. Always leave me smiling.

Anonymous said...

Hey Banana, The pictures are wonderful--thanks! Did you notice that the monkey on the roof seems to be wearing a collar??

And there seems to be someone else masquerading with my name, posting comments on your blog. I have my concerns about that.

I hope it wasn't/isn't giardia. Had it once, and again, and again as it didn't seem to want to go away! But I wasn't living in Africa, just drinking Maryland water, I guess.

Miss you.

Diane

Sally said...

Love the pictures! You look like you're having an awesome experience.

Anonymous said...

Lieve Annemarie
Dat je het allemaal nog steeds volhoudt ondanks alle nieuwe (vreemde en akelige) dingen die je ontmoet strekt jou en jouw vader en moeder to eer, die ook zonder te weten wat ze allemaal te wachten stond zo maar uit een lekker gezellig klein landje naar een groot Amerika vertrokken. Die dapperheid hebben ze zeker doorgegeven.
Genoeg over de beschouwende en filosofische overpeinzingen. De foto's zijn prachtig en ook de video is schitterend. Ik ben helemaal weg van deze Afrikaanse volksmuziek. Ik vind die echt prachtig. Hier hoor je dat niet zo, maar bijvoorbeeld het Zuid Afrikaanse volkslied is ook schitterend. Van mij mag je meer video's maken met deze mooie volksmuziek. Daar zou ik wel eens bij willen zijn, maar dan zonder allerlei muggen en hagedissen en ander kruipend spul.
So, that was Dutch. Do you understand it all, specially the meaning?? I think so. You do still a marvalous job and we still admire you. For the same money(voor hetzelfde geld) zat je in America met alle luxe rondom je heen.
Het is prachtig om via jouw blog mee te kunnen kijken. Wij hopen dat je het volhoudt om ons zo op de hoogte te houden. Wij wensen je heel veel succes.
Toos, Frans. Frida, Johan, Martijn en Bert.
P.S. Wij vinden jou heel erg LIEEEEEEF

Anonymous said...

Lieve Annemarie,
I was forgotten to tell you that we last evening had eaten podded peas from Kenya!! I saw it when I came home, thought of you and wondered why a country like Kenya want to feed people who are fat and want to loose weight. I didn't mention it if you were in Kenya. I tell the people here. But.....we love you, and you are very LIEEEEEEF.
frans etc etc.

Stop Vegetarianism Now said...

I'm glad you are making friends. :)

Frida said...

Heej nichtje! Zoals papa ook al zei: leuke foto's!! Ik kan zien dat je het leuk hebt (zeer belangrijk!). Making friends, having fun and doing a good job! tot snel, dikke kusX Frida

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,

Everytime we read your blog you give us a smile on our face. We love the way you write down your adventures but we also read the difficulties you experience.
As you can see, no one here in the western world has forgotten you.
Keep up the good work!

René Lucas

Anonymous said...

Prachtig land Kenya! Fijn dat je zoveel foto's gestuurd hebt. Het geeft mij een klein beetje een idee van hoe je daar leeft!Als je nog meer foto's maakt laat ze maar zien, ze maken je verhalen nog duidelijker, al vind ik je manier van schrijven heel leuk!
Pas goed op jezelf en op al het kruipende spul wat je tegen komt!
Liefs Maria.

Anonymous said...

Loved the photos. Looks like you are getting along well there. I could never imagine myself making it there. I wouldn't leave my "princess" bed if the spiders moved fast or jumped. No, no.

Sarah said...

The 11 seconds video and the 14 photos that this Bolivian connection could handle were COMPLETELY AWESOME. Can´t wait to see more and keep rocking the free world.