Monday, August 20, 2007

Home, Sweet Mutomo

So far, so good. I'm learning how to cook with the locally available produce which includes lots of tomatoes, potatoes, onions, avocado, and garlic. LOTS of garlic. Every one of my meals involve some combination of these aforementioned ingredients. It does take some serious creativity, and I've found the upside of eating lots of garlic is that it scares away the mosquitoes (and some people).

This past weekend I saw my first dead snake, stoned to death on the hospital grounds. Lucky for me, Kenyans seem to dislike snakes as much as I do, and are far more brave to actually do something about it. Also fortunate for me, they do not seem to make a distinction between those which are harmful and poisonous and those which are not when attempting to kill them. Even the nuns here try to assure me that snakes are more scared of me than I am of them, but I honestly don't think that is even possible. Maybe my garlic breath will scare them off, too.

Saturday is Market Day here in Mutomo, which is probably the most exciting thing to happen in a week. I've started buying my weekly allotment of oranges and eggs from the same sellers, so I am building a relationship with them (also known as integrating into the community). Often I'll get an extra egg and/or orange slipped in my bag, which I think is a form of appreciation at my attempts to speak Swahili. It's a nice system we have going.

This week I'm going to visit some of the local schools to do some follow-up assessments, so it will be interesting to get out and see more parts of the surrounding areas. More updates to come. Hope all is well.

PS. My foot has seemed to heal itself. I guess ignoring it and feeding it Ibuprofen once in a while is a cure in itself...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you can make guacamole! I wonder if you can make tortillas from potatoes?

What's the weather like?

Glad to hear your foot is better!

Stop Vegetarianism Now said...

I'm glad to see you are working on your negotiation/networking skills. You can use them to NEGOTIATE A HIGHER SALARY upon your return :) And just remember, as long as you trust in the Lord, the snakes will not bite. At least that's what they claim in West Virginia...

Anonymous said...

Annemarie, van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag.
We hopen dat je een fijne dag hebt gehad om toch het jaartje erbij te vieren.We horen dat het je goed af gaat. Gelukkig maar.
We wensen dat je een mooie tijd in Kenia hebt en tot schrijfs

Tante Els en Ome Herman

Frida said...

Hiephiephoeraaaaa!!!! Je bent jarig vandaag!! JAAAA!!! TE GEK!! geniet er maar lekker van want jarig zijn is leuk! dikke kusXX Frida

Anonymous said...

Hoi nichtje,

Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag.

Groetjes,

Annet en Martijn

Anonymous said...

Hiep hiep hoera,

Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag en nog vele jaren!

Een hele fijne dag.
Wij volgen je doen en laten in Kenya op de voet en denken vaak aan je.

Tante Rien en ome Ben

Anonymous said...

happy birthday daughter!
xxmom and dadxx

Jane said...

FELIZ CUMPLEANOS!!! i'm going to send you a shirt that says, "somebody in mee-naa-soo-daa misses me!!!" you know, to compliment your paul bunyan socks :)

Anonymous said...

allereerst proficiat en nog heel veel mooie jaren, we hebben je ouders even gebeld zodat we ze persoonlijk konden feliciteren met jou!Natuurlijk hebben we het ook gehad over de prachtige tijd die we bij hen door gebracht hebben. Maar onze vakantie is weer voorbij en er moet weer volop gewerkt worden, je bent dus niet de enige!
Marieke feest en werk met zin en kijk uit voor slangen!
Maria.

Scary Mary Z said...

an abundance of garlic and getting hooked up...sounds familiar ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.