Tuesday, May 22, 2007

In the city of brotherly love

Spent the last day and a half in the basement room of Sheraton here in downtown Philadelphia for our staging event where they try to cram expectations and a briefing into 24 hours. There are 49 people from varying ages and walks of life in our Health group, so it's quite a sight. Today we started our anti-malaria meds. I took them at lunch, and so far no sign of malaria, so I think it's working. The possible side effects sound pretty horrific (unexplained anxiety, depression, hallucinations, vomiting, diarrhea, insomnia, confusion) so I imagine that malaria must actually be worse.

Tomorrow we take a bus to JFK airport and fly to Kenya with a layover in Amsterdam. I've been designated the leader of our small group to get us safely to Nairobi. My job is to help orchestrate departure from the hotel, travel to the airport, check-in at the airport, and travel to Kenya, as there are no Peace Corps staff accompanying us. Provided myself and my 9 other group members arrive safely, the next time I'll write will be from Nairobi.

bon voyage!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I so can't believe they are putting you in charge of travel arrangements for everyone else. Guess they don't know that you're a "P" do they?

Melanie said...

No Peace Corps personnel accompanying you to NYC? Sounds like an attempt to weed out the weak, if you ask me ...
Have a safe trip to Nairobi!

Anonymous said...

aahh that explains it, G2 has been taking anti-malaria drugs for the past 17 months.

Unknown said...

big mad love...and respect.

Laura said...

We'll miss you but it's great to read about your adventures. You know, maybe if you gave your friends candy like you're planning to do for Kenyan kids, then we'd like you better. :)

Jane said...

disappointed that you spend the evening in a sheraton--the mormons would NOT approve (and neither do i). and as far as being a "p" -- i would re-classify that as being "deadline driven." you work best under pressure. your team will get to nairobi one way or another...

Kalina Duncan said...

Safe flight! Please let me know what they serve on the airplane en route to Nairobi. I hope it's something weird. Miss you already!

Unknown said...

Have a safe flight, banana! I'm sure you'll get all ten of you there safely...somehow... :) How funny is it that the layover is in Amsterdam...

Anonymous said...

Anna! I'll be tuning in to the blog as often as possible. I look forward to your repartee on like in Kenya (...I really just wanted to use the word repartee). Miss ya lots!

Aaron said...

Gurl, you go with your nine pounds of candy! The mark of a truely wise political operative, no doubt!

Good luck with your psycho drugs. Pat went to africa for three weeks when he was a young man (obviously a long, long time ago) and said that they were definitely altered reality. Things here are good. We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Heej Annemarie!! Benieuwd hoe het is daar .. wat zijn je eerste indrukken (first impressions?). Ik check regelmatig even je blog, om te kijken of je al internet gevonden hebt;) Vergeet niet te genieten he? dikke kusX

Sarah said...

This blog looks GREAT!! See, I told you it was easy. :) We´ll have to figure out a way to link our blogs... Take care of yourself!

Sarah in Bolivia

Stop Vegetarianism Now said...

Please confirm that you did actually arrive in Nairobi. As I understand it, there is NO WAY your group arrived safely (think Ohio Bus Trip, Vancouver, CHICAGO MARATHON, etc.). You must have charmed them with your good looks and gotten assigned team leader. Whatever it takes to move up in the world, sweet pea!

Sally said...

Ohio bus trip, LOL! I was going to say that they musta piped in anti-malaria drugs into the corner office on the 4th floor since 2004, but Carrie beat me to a similar quip. Hope all is going well!