Tuesday, November 27, 2007

November Rains

Mutomo has finally entered the "short rains" season. This was scheduled to come mid-October, but they work on their own time, which seems to be whenever is most inconvenient for me.

Here is a typical scenario describing the rains and my misfortune:

  • The skies are completely clear and bright

  • I decide to run some errands in town

  • I leave behind my raincoat and/or umbrella (this is sub-Saharan Africa- I don't want to draw more attention)

  • Due to the scorching heat, I'm usually wearing cool and light colors. Such as white.

  • At the exact moment that I am as far as possible from any sort of shade or shelter there comes a downpour of rain

This rain is so fierce that it actually stings. There isn't much I can do but stand there and suffer through it, or seek some cover under a leaky tarp from a mama selling overripe bananas. Although they don't look appealing or fresh, I buy a few in exchange for preserving what is left of my dripping wet dignity.

Along with the rains come a whole host of new bugs and insects that seem to want to make my acquaintance by inviting themselves into my room, without giving me time to adequately assess their potential danger or intimidation factor. It's a jungle in there.

Last week we finally completed our handwashing lesson at three schools. In total, over 1,000 students received the hygiene message, so I expect by the time word gets around during our next set in January, we'll need to arrange for crowd control. These Peer Educators are a hot commodity. Check out the pictures.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoi Marieke,
Wat een weer, ik dacht dat het alleen in Nederland regende! Nee daar bij jullie is het natuurlijk wel anders dan hier. Ja dat ongedierte vlucht natuurlijk ook naar binnen voor de regen! Je foto's zijn weer prachtig!De hygiene lessen zijn gestart zie ik op de foto's, de basis voor een gezond leven!
Hier is het sinterklaas tijd, iedereen is volop bezig om van alles in huis te halen voor pakjes avond.Het is wel een gezellige tijd!
Marieke blijf schrijven en foto's maken ik vind het prachtig!
Maria

Stop Vegetarianism Now said...

Well, sp, there is a song by Sean Ensign that goes, "Every time it rains, I get wet." I will be visiting you this time next year and we can suffer together. I will bring a big golf umbrella and you can feel free to pretend like you don't know me, although since we will be the only two white people in the country I don't think you'll have much luck at that. But if you run fast enough, you won't get wet. Those carts that they pull you in (you know, the one that you broke), they don't have covers? Maybe you can pay for business class.

Jane said...

it snowed in minne over the weekend and weather.com predicts high: 3 degrees, feels like -13 degrees for the next 6 months.

miss you lady!

Unknown said...

I MISS YOU BANANA!

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed that the new latrines are in HRC colors? Equality!

I was in Cairo last month. On your continent, but oh so far away!