Friday, November 16, 2007

Destruction Hits Mutomo



Over the weekend Mutomo experienced some rain and high winds which resulted in a mini-tornado that ripped the roof off six classrooms at one of the local schools. Luckily nobody was injured, but this was the school that was going to get the first hygiene lesson, so we obviously had to reschedule. Something tells me that hand washing wouldn't have been a high priority without a roof over their heads. Unless we adjust our lesson to include classroom renovations. We might be good, but not that good.




While Mutomo was dealing with Mother Nature's antics, I was in Kitui meeting up with some fellow Volunteers and of course to see my host family who was hosting a party. There were lots of people and lots of food and my host brother was the first to greet me, grinning and showing off the progress of his growing front teeth. He'll need a new nickname since mapengo (affectionately translated to "toothless") is no longer accurate.

I stayed with a nearby Volunteer, who lives only about 8 kilometers out of Kitui town, but with public transport this ride is usually 15-20 minutes long. After I boarded and crammed in, we cruised around looking for more people to pickup until the matatu was more than completely full, then promptly got pulled over at a police checkpoint. The obligatory handover of kitu kidogo (something small) was exchanged for a turning of the back to all of the number of rules we were violating. It must have been a sufficient payoff, since the AK-47 remained untouched, slung over the officer's shoulder as he wandered around the car and waved us on. Weaving through the large metal spikes in the road, we were finally on our way. But not before stopping for petrol on the edge of town, the tout hanging out the sliding door window, slapping the roof, calling for more passengers as we passed them on the road. Not sure where he was planning to fit them, but I guess he'd worry about that upon arriving at the next police checkpoint.

When I arrived back to Mutomo, I ran into my neighbor kids as I was walking to my room. I was happy to see them, but they peered at me suspiciously and, hands on hips, the 8-year old ringleader asked where I had been all weekend. I realized I hadn't cleared my travel with her. Guilty, I hung my head and murmured, "Kitui". Unconvinced, she narrowed her eyes, looked me up and down, and asked where my bags were. I pointed to the bag on my back. She nodded her head in approval and let me continue, calling out after me that they missed me while I was gone. Looks like I'll need to fire up the popcorn this weekend to put this little misunderstanding behind us.


Happy (early) Thanksgiving! A turkey can be pardoned for me, since I think it looks like roasted goat meat or chicken in my future. I'll let you know how Kenya celebrates.

2 comments:

Stop Vegetarianism Now said...

Sp I will send you some tarps. That must be tough, but I have no doubt that the Kenyan government will respond better than Bush did to Katrina. Also, I'm glad you don't have to cut a head of a turkey like you did the chicken in Kitui!

Anonymous said...

Dag Annemarie,
De blog wordt een mooi dagboek en geeft langzamerhand een steeds beter beeld van hoe je daar begonnen bent en wat je intussen allemaal doet en gedaan hebt. De foto's zijn ook erg mooi en geven echt een kijkje in de keuken. Het is mooi om te zien dat kinderen altijd veel plezier kunnen hebben ook al hebben ze het nog zo moeilijk. Maar dat plezier moet niet opdrogen. Jij doet er echt iets aan. De foto met jouw hostmama is ook erg mooi en ze heeft een heel vriendelijke uitstraling.
De laatste tijd horen we hier niet veel over Kenya. We zullen maar denken geen nieuws is goe nieuws, want als in het Breaking News komt is dat meestal niet om te vertellen dat het allemaal goed gaat.
We blijven de blog goed volgen, wensen je heel veel succ4es en doorzettingsvermogen en volgens ons,aan de foto's te zien, kun je ook genieten.
Dag Annemarie, tot de volgende keer.
Toos, Frans, Frida, Johan en marit, Martijn en Yoni en....Bert.