Monday, February 11, 2008

Out of Africa

Peace Corps has decided to temporarily suspend its program in Kenya after weeks of post-election unrest. Volunteers in Western parts of the country were evacuated first, but last week us remaining few were given 24 hour notice to pack our stuff and leave our sites. Technically we've all officially completed our service, which included a comprehensive medical exam (no parasites getting a free trip to the States on my watch!) in addition to mounds of paperwork. If I ever thought it was difficult to get into Peace Corps, I've found it's even more difficult to leave. In more ways than one.

The situation in Kenya will be re-assessed in 3 months to determine if and when we can return to our sites and our projects. I'm optimistic, as my time here has shown me that Kenyans are very hopeful and resilient, even in the face of mounting adversity.

In the meantime, I'm trying to brace myself for February temperatures in DC and not February temperatures in Mutomo.

Stay tuned for more updates, and enjoy some newly uploaded photos.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry you won't be able to carry on with your mission. And that we don't seem able to help the Kenyans.

Unknown said...

ummm, you know I'm selfish so...COME VISIT ME IN LA! YAY!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back safe! I think that they will sort things out in Kenya, but these things move at their own pace, not ours.

Since you are back, maybe you can turn your attention to helping Ohioians make the right choice in November... Not that you did not work hard last time!

Look forward to seeing you in April!

Rob v.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna,

Please tell PC to get their act together and send you back as all is well and safe here in Mutomo and EVERYBODY misses you!! (There will be a lot more 'you have been lost's by the time you get back!)

And while you're at it can you please ask them to stop calling me every week to let me know that you won't be coming back anytime soon! It is just plain mean!

Miss you heaps. Sounds like you have an Italian stallion to play with from June... all the more reason to come back??

xx

Unknown said...

Political unrest sucks, unless it is American political unrest, and unless it is um, caused by "our group."

You are hereby ordered by the Embassy of Montana to return to Big Sky Country at once.

We need campaign managers. I need a campaign manager, specifically. We pay good and well, its more fun here than in D.C.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anna - it's now April. I've been wondering what the transition back has been like for you. I hope at some point you will add your transition-thoughts to your blog.

Pat